Things have been slowing getting back to "normal" around here. No more trips scheduled...my project at work has been given a 6 week extension which will allow me to at least enjoy the holidays...and my return to the gym has been going well. I am 9 months post op and have lost 64 pounds. SW 224 CW 160 Am I where I want to be? No Am I where I had hoped to be almost 10 months post op? No Am I glad every single day that I had this surgery done? YES!
My food choices are what is derailing me at present. The only thing that VSG does for you is limits the actual quantity of food you can consume in any single sitting. After you are completely healed, and you can tolerate most different types of foods, it's up to you to choose the foods that are healthy, low calorie/low fat/ low sugar! VSG doesn't fix your head...it only fixes your stomach!
I find myself eating more frequently than I did 6 months ago. 3-4 months into the process, I could eat about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of food and be completely satisfied. I wouldn't even think about food for 4-5 hours. Now I find myself "shopping" in my own fridge. Wondering what I could have, what I could make for dinner, or what would satisfy the craving rattling around in my head. Danger...DANger...DANGER!!!! The only thing I can do is to redirect my thoughts onto something else and hope that the craving goes away. It reminds me of the scene in the movie Jaws where the boat captain was telling them the story about the ship going down during the war and the sharks coming. They would yell and kick the sharks and group together to fend them off. He said, "sometimes the sharks go away...and sometimes they don't go away". That is exactly how I feel about my cravings! Sometimes they go away...and sometimes they don't.
But I am continuing on the good habits that I have formed. I am meeting my friend at the gym 2 nights a week. I am pushing "play" on the DVD player and choosing a workout from my 21 Day Fix DVD at least 2 nights a week. And I am continuing my 5K running challenge that I set for myself back in July. My daughter and I decided that we were going to start running 5K's together and that we wanted to run one per month. We started in July...missed August...but ran one in September, one in October, and one yesterday! This one was by far the hardest one yet. It was at 8 in the morning about 40 minutes from where we live. We were not able to do the pre-race packet pickup and so we had to get to the race early in order to get our bibs and be ready to run. The 5:45am alarm did not make me a happy camper...and neither did the 29 degree temperature outside! I do not have the right running gear for 29 degrees! We got there in plenty of time and got lined up for the race. My legs and my torso were fine - thanks to my fleece lined leggings and my new thermal long sleeved undershirt. But my face and my hands were frozen solid by the time we crossed the starting line. They did not thaw out until I hit the 2 mile mark. By then, my back was hurting thanks to my super stiff running style (think frozen solid) and all I could think of was crossing that finish line and getting something hot to drink! I was pleased with my time (40:50) and still want to have a sub 40 minute race (which I am getting really close to). My daughter and I are now rethinking a December / January race...unless we can get some warmer running gear...or at least some hot packs for our hands!
Thanksgiving is this Thursday and I am not super excited about it. I know what I need to do, and I will be having a lot of talks with myself this week to bolster my courage to do what's right and make it through with flying colors! With the holidays looming, I know that there will be challenges galore and it will be up to me to keep my end goal in my mind. Only I can get to where I want to be. I am determined to succeed.
Gobble gobble...
No comments:
Post a Comment