Another 5K and my one year surgiversary!
It is hard to believe that it has been a year since I took a giant leap of faith and got on a plane to Tijuana Mexico to have VSG surgery! I clearly remember how scared I was and yet how hopeful as well. Somehow I knew that I was embarking on a new phase of my life...and boy was I right!
Yesterday, I ran the Mill Creek Puddle Run 5K. It was part trail run and part paved and it was really fun. My daughter (who does all my 5K's with me) and her fiancé joined me and we had a great time! He and I were talking on the way home about how much my life had changed in the last year. He asked me if I ever thought I would be running 5K's after I got home from my surgery. Honestly, I didn't, but I had every confidence that I would be a healthier happier person who could go hiking and walk around downtown without needing to stop and sit for a while.
My younger daughter called me earlier in the week to tell me that she hadn't really realized how much weight I had lost until she saw a photo of me from our trip to Spain 18 months ago. She sent me the face shot that, in her words, "freaked her out". Here it is...and here is the photo from yesterdays run for comparison.
That first photo was 65 pounds ago. I don't recognize that woman. Like a lot of overweight people, I was in denial about just how out of control my weight had gotten. I was happy, but felt tired and out of sorts a lot of the time. My doctor was threatening to put me on medication for high blood pressure and talking about diabetes. The smile in that photo hid a lot. Fast forward to a cold morning run. Completely different woman. Happier, more confident, and loving life!
There have been bumps in the road of my weight loss journey. Most notably is the long stall I have been on for the last 3 months. When people tell you that VSG surgery is a TOOL and not a FIX for your weight problems, they are telling you the truth. The tool helps me to eat less. It DOES NOT help me to eat healthy! A year out, I can eat pretty much any food I want in moderation. My job is to make sure that I am feeding my body the healthiest and most nourishing food that I can. I still have 20 pounds left to lose and I am NOT going to stop until those pounds are gone forever!
Lots of things are still changing in my life. My oldest daughter is getting married in 9 months and I want to be able to wear a dress for her wedding that will make me feel wonderful. My youngest daughter is graduating from college in May and will (hopefully) be coming home to live with me. I want to model the healthy behavior that I should have done when she was small. I have a trip to Ireland coming up in August. All these things will be so much better and easier when I am at my goal weight. So it's back to the gym...more training runs...better food choices...and I know I can do it!
Race #2 of 12 is in the books. It even looks like one of our races this year is going to be a 10K!! I am never going to let my weight be something that holds me back ever again. For posterity, here are my one year stats.
Highest weight - 224.4 Surgery weight - 216.0 Today's weight - 159.2
Total weight loss - 65.2 (and counting)
From a size 2X top to a size large From a size 20 pants to a size 12
Here's to a 2016 full of health and happiness!
No comments:
Post a Comment