I have been way way absent from this blog...not because I don't want to keep it going, but just because so many other things have gotten in the way of sitting down and putting thoughts to virtual paper.
I did it! In January of this year I made a vow with my daughter that we would run a 5K every month of 2016. Last Saturday when we completed the Ugly Sweater Run, that goal was completed. I am still a little in shock! The old me...would have made the vow...ran a couple of races...and then found every excuse in the book to fail. That's how I know I have made a lasting change. There were days when I didn't want to run...it was too cold, too wet, too hot, or I just plain didn't feel like running. But the new me said "tough shit" and I got up, laced up the running shoes, and got it done. Ten of the races I ran were 5K's (3.1 miles), one race was a 4.5 mile trail run, one race was a 10K, and one race was a 5K obstacle course. I think I am most proud of that one because it took me wayyyyyyy outside my comfort zone! I feel like I really accomplished something and it was just for me. That is such a good feeling!
My weight is fairly stable. I play around with the same five pounds over and over again...but no more than that. I admit that my eating habits have gotten lax over time. But the beauty of the surgery is that I can never go back completely to my old ways. Some things have stuck though...I no longer drink soda pop, I very rarely eat bread, and I get more and better protein in my diet than I ever have before. Those are victories no matter that the scale is not heading in the downward direction any more.
The next step for me is plastic surgery. In 59 days I will be having an extended tummy tuck, a breast lift, and fat transfer to my butt. I scheduled this surgery ten months ago. My plan was to have lost another 10 pounds before surgery day. That plan went to hell and back...but no matter. I have such a problem with deflated breasts and a belly that now hangs down to my upper thighs, and I want it fixed. I know that I am not going to look 20 again (or hell, even 40 again) but I also know that my life will be better and easier when I get another chance to fight gravity. I have started my weight training again now that running is done for the year and the doctor tells me that the more muscle mass I have the better the surgery will turn out so I am on it.
Christmas is right around the corner and I am staying away from the "treat table" at work with not much difficulty. I have a couple of parties coming up where I know I will have a glass or two of wine. But other than that, I am going to use these next 59 days to be the best I can be come surgery day. I will keep posting as I go through that experience. I write for me...but if anyone is listening and gets anything out of my rambling stream of consciousness, then that is great too.
59, 58, 57, (tick tock tick tock)
No comments:
Post a Comment