Once we (my daughter and I) decided that we would set a goal this year of running a 5K race every month, I knew it would be a tall order. But we have had so much fun doing this together in the last 6 months and I knew it would be a good way to make sure I kept moving!
The REI "Worst Day of the Year" run was last Saturday. I guess that typically the weather for this run is awful! We feel like we got lucky...foggy and cold...but no rain! I still have not gotten back into the swing of my training runs and really won't until it starts staying light longer. But I am in decent shape for an old gal and so I wasn't too worried about the race. Well...I also wasn't expecting the first 1/2 mile of the race to be all uphill! I only got in about 3 minutes of running until I was faced with a seriously long and steep hill. I made a quick decision to run halfway up and then walk the other half. I was worried that if I ran the whole hill, I would be gassed and not be able to run the rest of the race. That turned out to be a good decision. Once I made it to the top of the hill, I was able to set a good pace and finish out the race with no problem. But once again, I wasn't able to improve on my best time and get a race under 40 minutes! Oh well...I have 11 more races to get that done!
My younger daughter has been in Thailand for the last two weeks and she comes home for one day before heading back to college in Boston. So I will be up at the crack of dawn tomorrow to pick her up at the airport...then the next morning I will be up again taking her back to the airport! I laughed and thought I should just get her a hotel near the airport and save myself the gas !!! I have missed her and will anxiously await her post grad decisions to see if she will be moving back home or not.
Wednesday will mark the rebirth of my gym time. My friend who goes to the gym with me has been super busy with other things and with the holidays we just bagged it until the new year. Now I am excited to get back into the swing of things and start building some muscle. I am also going to do the 21 Day Fix exercise program again because in a month I will be traveling to SanFrancisco and I want to be ready for that.
I am also going to do some research and talk with my doctor about protein drinks. I have a protein drink every morning as my breakfast. I have read several posts online recently where people say their doctors don't want them using a protein drink in place of a meal. My doctor didn't say anything about that and now I want to know what they think. I don't know why the protein drink would be bad unless it's because it doesn't create that "full feeling" that you get from real food. If that is all it is, then I am not worried about that. My morning drink keeps me full until lunch time. But since I am down to the "hard weight" to lose, I want to make sure I am doing everything my doctor thinks I should be doing.
My goals between now and the 12th of February when I leave on my trip are to go to the gym 3 times per week...do the 21 Day Fix...and get in one training run every weekend. When I manage those things, the scale should begin to go in the right direction and I can start ticking off these last 20 pounds!
Here we go...
No comments:
Post a Comment