It's hard for me to believe that just one short week ago I was on a plane headed to San Diego to begin this new era in my life! In some ways it seems like yesterday and in some ways it seems like a lifetime ago.
As of this morning, I have lost 20 pounds from my highest pre-op diet weight of 224.4 !! Seeing 204.4 on the scale this morning was a wonderful reaffirmation that I made the right decision in having this surgery. I know without a doubt that without this surgery I would have ended 2015 just the way I began...overweight, tired, unhappy...but now my outlook is so much more positive!
Last night I told another friend. That brings the total to 3. This friend is a surgical recovery nurse and so I was holding my breath for the lecture on, a) having unnecessary surgery and, b) having unnecessary surgery in Mexico! To my delight, she just hugged me and said how happy she is for me and how proud she is that I took this step to make my life better! I have the most wonderful and supportive friends...I don't know why I doubted them!
Day 7 post op doesn't feel like "post op" anymore. It just feels like me...normal...minus the pancakes, chips, pizza, etc. I feel fortunate that I am one of the ones whose hunger just disappeared. I read other people's stories where they are still hungry and all their cravings are still there. Not me. I have to remind myself that I need to eat. I went to help a friend last night and when I got home at 9:30 I realized that I had not had dinner. That would never have happened to me in the past. Food was my number one priority. I NEVER went without. If I had to stop at 7-11 on my way home to make sure that I had enough food for the evening, I would. I do think that is a lot of the problem with obesity today - food is way too available. You don't have to work for it. You don't even have to get up off your butt to get it...people will deliver it right to your door!!
My incisions are healing. In fact, one lone steri-strip fell off after my shower this morning. The doctor told me that they would all begin to fall off in 7-10 days, so it's right on schedule. The bruising that I have around two of the incisions is turning that lovely shade of yellow, so those will be gone soon. Also, my patient coordinator from Mexico has contacted me almost every day via IM to ask how I am doing. I think this is so nice of her! It would be easy to just put me on a plane to go home and never think of me again. But she is such a special lady and she really does care about all her patients!
I still have 5 more days of relaxing before I head back to work. So glad to have this time to heal and get used to my new food intake before I have to get back in the rat race! Until later...
No comments:
Post a Comment