Monday, May 25, 2015

Back to the real world...

Got back late last night from my 8 day visit with my daughter in Boston.  I have to say that it was one of my best vacations ever!  To get an idea of what type of vacation it was, I will share my 8 days of steps according to my FitBit.

Day 1 - 9,822 - This was the day I left for Boston and most of my steps were either walking to the bus stop, from the bus to the light rail, and from the light rail all around the airport.  It was a long flight and I didn't get into Boston until midnight!

Day 2 - 22,801 - My daughter and I did half of the Freedom Trail today.  We went to the Boston Common park and walked all thru it.  We saw the State House and the famous Ducklings statues.  The weather was wonderful and we had such a great day!

Day 3 - 10,289 - Not as many steps today because today was our mother/daughter beauty day.  My daughter got about 8 inches of her long hair cut off and a mani/pedi and I got a pedi.  It was a very relaxing morning, and in the afternoon we walked around the campus of Boston University.

Day 4 - 20,540 - Today was a really rainy day, but we didn't care.  I bought an umbrella at the CVS on campus and we walked to the Boston Fine Art Museum.  We spent about 4 hours walking through all the exhibits and it was wonderful.  After filling up on art, we walked to Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market.  This is like a tourist paradise with lots of shops and great places to eat.

Day 5 - 23,579 - This was the day we walked the other half of the Freedom Trail.  We went to the Bunker Hill Monument.  It is an obelisk with 294 steps to the top.  We both wanted to climb it so we went to the ranger desk and got our climbing passes.  Not going to lie...there were a couple of moments during the climb when I wondered if I had bitten off more than I could chew...but we made it and it felt so good !!  After that we walked to see the USS Constitution, The Old North Church, Paul Revere's house, and had lunch at the oldest continuously operating  tavern in the US - The Bell in Hand, established 1795!  The weather was perfect for a day of walking!

Day 6 - 20,080 - This morning we got up and went on a tour of Fenway Park.  I am not a huge baseball fan, but Fenway is the oldest ball park in the US and I was very interested in the history.  It was a really interesting tour and our guide was terrific!  Today was also kayaking day.  We rented a two person kayak and spent 2 hours kayaking on the Charles River!  We took a Lyft from campus to the boat house, but after our kayaking experience, we decided to walk the 4 miles back to campus!  Such a beautiful walking trail they have in Boston along the river!

Day 7 - 14,586 - We might have overdone it yesterday as both of us were sore and tired this morning!  But we had a busy day scheduled, so we got a coffee and took off again!  We went to the Boston Aquarium in the morning.  It is a beautiful space and we saw and touched many things!  After lunch, we went to Harvard.  Harvard is one of those schools that I had heard of my whole life but never thought I would actually visit.  The center of the campus is called Harvard Square, and it is lush and green and peaceful.  The town of Cambridge is small but has a lot of cute shops and restaurants.

Day 8 - 20,342 - This was my last full day in Boston and we spent it well.  We went to the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum in the morning.  It was a lovely museum, and quite different from the Fine Arts museum we had visited before.  We enjoyed the time we spent there.  Afterwards, since the weather was so beautiful, we decided to go back to the Boston Commons park and walk around again.  I got to take a picture of the famous "ducklings" statues (that I had fallen in love with) and we sat on a bench in the sun and just talked and relaxed.

Day 9 - 15,128 - I had the morning free before I had to go to the airport and so we went to the "SOWA" outdoor market.  This is unlike any outdoor market I have visited.  It is broken into 4 areas...an indoor Vintage Market, an outdoor Craft Market, an outdoor Farmer's Market, and a giant lot filled with Food Trucks!  We managed to find a seat in the crowded food area and both enjoyed our lunch before it was time to head back to campus and for me to get on another long flight back to Seattle.

So...now that you know everything I did on my vacation (LOL) here are the results (as it pertains to my weight loss journey).  You might think (I sure did) that all of that walking, and climbing, and paddling would have equated to some pounds dropped on the scale.  Well if you did, then we were both wrong!  My scale this morning said that I had lost .8 of a pound in those 8 days!  I can't lie...I am pretty disappointed!  That was one of the most active vacations I have ever taken and to have not even lost a full pound does not make me a happy camper.  So, I have to get honest with myself.  Did I eat things not on my plan? - Yes  Did I drink alcohol? - Yes  Did I drink enough water each day? - No
So, all in all...I am counting this as a success.  It's possible that I am retaining some fluid since my feet and ankles always swell up when I fly.  But I don't think that will amount to much.  One thing I hope is that I have now convinced my mind and my body that I CAN walk 9 miles in a day!!  That I CAN kayak and climb and sweat and have FUN doing it!!!  I am home now...and missing my daughter already!  It's going to be a long 7 months until I get to see her again at Christmas, but I will treasure the memories we made during this vacation and use those to see me through.

Oh and BTW...as of today, I have 50 more pounds to go to reach my goal.  In three more pounds, I will be half way there!!!  I will post some before and during pics when I reach the halfway point.

Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment