Wednesday, May 6, 2015

40 pounds and counting

I am off my normal schedule of posting on Sunday...but things are going along great!  I am feeling better every day as this weight that has been holding me down for so long is being lost.

Yesterday I officially hit the 40 pounds lost milestone!  My weight seems to be steadily going down, although I am not losing at an astounding rate.  At first, I was stressing out about this.  I belong to a couple of Facebook groups and I continually see people posting that they have lost 60, 70 or even 80 pounds in the same time as I have lost 40!  It is hard to not compare yourself and your progress to other people, but I am really trying to focus on my success and on my unique journey into wellness.

I am 10 days away from another vacation.  This time I am traveling to Boston to visit my daughter who attends Boston University.  She usually comes home for the summer, but this year she was offered a paid internship in her field of study and so she decided to stay in Boston.  She has a couple of weeks off between finals and her internship beginning and so I am traveling there to spend some time with her.  I really, really, really want to be in the 170's before I step on that plane!!  I have about 3-1/2 pounds to go to get there and I am determined!

Last night I decided that I wanted to do a 5K.  Many times in the past I have thought about it and just never got off my butt and did it.  So I contacted my daughter who lives here in Seattle and asked her if she would have any interest in doing a 5K with me.  She immediately responded with a resounding YES.  So, before I could change my mind or talk myself out of it, I paid the entrance fee and signed us both up for the "See Jane Run" 5K on July 12th!  Then today I downloaded a "Zero to 5K" app on my phone that will get me ready for this run.  I have never been a runner...but even if I walk most of the time, I am going to complete this 5K and celebrate how far I have come!

As far as the surgery goes, I am doing great!  Most days, I forget that I have the sleeve.  Small food portions have become my life now and it's been a while since I over ate or drank too fast or anything, so I feel like it is a success.  Cravings are really a thing of the past for me.  I have read that at about the year mark they begin to creep back in...but I feel like after a year, I should be able to kick myself in the behind if I start down a slippery slope!  I know both my daughters won't cut me any slack either and so together we should be able to control this old body!

My next milestone is coming in about 5 pounds.  When I have lost 45 pounds I will officially be halfway to my goal weight!  I am pretty certain that will happen this month.  Once I reach that goal, things will start to feel possible again.  When you have a lot to lose, it's so hard to see the finish line.  But at the halfway point, that light at the end of the tunnel takes on a special glow.  I start to imagine what I will post here the day that I reach my goal weight...it boggles the mind.  Once I reach the halfway mark, I will post some before and during photos.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment