Saturday, May 16, 2015

Up, Up, and Away!

I am writing this while sitting at SeaTac airport waiting for my flight to Boston.  Decided to do something completely out of character for me and took public transportation to the airport!!  It is so much faster and easier to just call for a car to pick me up and take me there...I have done it many times.  But I did a little online research on how I could get from my house to the airport and it was actually really simple!  Sure, it doubled the time...but I had lots of time anyway!  There were two really big advantages to taking the bus and the light rail...one is the cost!  A cab or hired car from my house to the airport is right around $50(plus tip)...public transportation got me here for $ 5.50 !!  I figured that I could spend the $44.50 that I saved having some fun in Boston instead of spending it sitting in the back of a car on the way to the airport.  The other plus was that it required quite a bit of walking.  As I sit here, I looked at my Fit Bit and I am over 8000 steps and it's only noon!  Exercise and saving money...a great way to start my trip!

There is nothing...and I repeat nothing at SeaTac airport to eat for a VSG patient.  I walked and looked at the menu's of all the restaurants in the main, C, and N concourses and other than some tired looking fruit and a "hummus pack" at Starbucks, I came up empty.  I actually ended up getting a coffee at Starbucks (I had a free one coming!) and then went to Burger King and got the grilled chicken sandwich and threw away the bun and the onions.  I am sure I look a little nutty sitting here with a dissected chicken sandwich, but I don't care.  A gal's gotta do what she's gotta do!  I brought some beef jerky and a water bottle for the flight because there isn't going to be anything better on the plane than what I have already had.  I don't get into Boston until midnight tonight, so my beef jerky and a protein bar that I brought in my purse from home will have to suffice.

2 pound weight loss this week.  To be fair, the week isn't over until Sunday (which is my normal day to weigh) but since I won't be home then, I went ahead and weighed this morning.  I was really really hoping to get on this plane under 180, but it wasn't to be.  This morning I weighed 181.2.  In 4 more pounds I will officially be halfway to my goal.  I have lost a total of 43.2 pounds in 100 days!  I am thrilled with these results!  I read about a lot of people who are losing much faster than I am, but that doesn't bother me.  For the first time in my life I feel like food is not my enemy.  As I walked around the airport trying to decide what to have that would be the least harmful to my sleeve, it struck me that none of the food I was seeing/smelling was calling to me.  I was not craving any of it...rather I was looking for something that, a) wouldn't make my stomach hate me, and b) had some nutritional value since it was going to have to stick with me for a few hours.  A year ago, I would have been chowing down on pizza, or nachos, or wings and then I would have been miserable on this 6 hour flight because I was so stuffed.  Times, they are a changin'!!!

I am traveling to Boston to see my youngest daughter who is a rising Senior at Boston University.  She was fortunate enough to get a paid internship for the summer and so she was not going to be able to come home as she normally would.  I couldn't bear to not see her until Christmas and so off to Boston I go!  I will be interested to see what she thinks of the 43-pounds-lighter-me.  I have shrunk 2 whole sizes since she last saw me and I hope she is proud of me!  She has a lot of activities planned for us that require walking (and even kayaking) and I know that I will be much more capable of keeping up than I was the last time she and I traveled together.  I am looking forward to putting this body to the test!  The last time I vacationed with her I lost 7 pounds (I definitely walked all of them off) and so I am hoping that even though I was not below 180 on the flight to Boston, I will be below 180 on the flight back to Seattle!!

I'll be reporting from the Atlantic side of the US next week!  Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment