Sunday, April 19, 2015

Heading to San Diego

Lot's happening right now and wanted to make a quick post before I head out on vacation!

This week came with some interesting challenges!  First off I had dinner out with my daughter and her boyfriend at a lovely restaurant for restaurant week.  They both know I have had sleeve surgery and so don't expect me to eat much when we go out.  If you don't have a "restaurant week" where you live, it works like this...restaurants put together a 3 course dinner for $30 to entice new diners into their establishment.  It's a great way to try a normally expensive restaurant for a reasonable price.  My dinner consisted of - French Onion soup, some type of chicken and pasta, and cheesecake for desert.  Here is how it went.  I love French Onion soup!!!  I had about 3 spoonfuls avoiding the bread topping and then passed it along to the kids.  I ate 3 small pieces of chicken (no pasta) and then had the rest boxed up for the kids.  I had one sinfully delicious bite of cheesecake and passed it along to the kids.  They joked about how great it is to go out to dinner with me because they get to try everything I ordered and then have leftovers to take home!

My biggest challenge last week came when the management team where I work had an offsite team building day at a ropes course.  I was really worried about this and hardly slept the night before.  I am one of the heaviest people in management where I work and really didn't want to do something that would draw even more attention to that fact.  The day was difficult with events that required a lot of balance, coordination, and trust.  It culminated in a "pole climb" which had each of us climbing a 30' pole while harnessed on a belay line.  I wasn't sure I could do it.  The coordinator was so wonderful and supportive of all of us and made me feel like just trying and doing as much as I could would be a victory.  They showed us how to climb and how to hoist yourself up to stand on the top of the pole.  I am proud to say that I climbed that pole!!!  I did not stand on the top, but I did get to the top and touched the dragon that hangs there!  Every muscle in my body was quivering and my blood was roaring in my ears when I jumped from that pole!!!  My wonderful coworkers on the belay lines gently lowered me back to the ground.  I learned that day that my body can do more than I give it credit for!!!

Now, tomorrow I am leaving for a week in San Diego with two girlfriends.  I have a couple of goals for the week.  First, I am not really good with heat.  It is supposed to be between 85 and 90 degrees while I am there.  I plan to get up early each morning and go for a walk while it is relatively cool out. I also plan to have a water bottle with me at all times to make sure I stay hydrated.  I am going to eat protein first at every meal and I am going to keep alcohol to a minimum.  I only lost about a 1/2 pound this last week...so my goal is to lose 2 pounds during this trip!  I know I can do it!!!

This will be a good travel test for me because when I get back from this trip, I only have about 3 weeks until I fly to Boston to visit my daughter who is at Boston University.  The difference is that she is planning to walk me into the ground while I am there!!  She has my days planned around seeing Boston on foot!  I will have to have a bigger weight loss goal for that trip!!

I will still be in San Diego next Sunday, so if I can't take the time to write I will do it as soon as I get back home!  Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment