Sunday, August 16, 2015

Loving Life Today

Every once in a while, we are lucky enough to have the "perfect day".  I put that in quotes because, honestly, no day is ever "perfect"...but today is the closest to perfect I have had in a long time.

To start, the weather is exactly how I like it...mid-70's, beautiful blue sky, light breeze...so wonderful!!  Add to that, the fact that I don't really have anything that I need to DO today!  There is the usual cooking and cleaning and laundry, but really none of that is essential today because... I AM ON VACATION from work all next week!!

So I started this day getting on the scale for my weekly weigh in and I am at 167.2 which means I lost about a pound and a half last week.  As much as I would like to be back in the time where I was losing 3-4 pounds per week, I have to be realistic and say that any consistent loss is a good loss to me!  My workouts this last week were few and far between...work was crazy...the weather was all over the place (two days of thunder/lightning/heavy rain) and so I only got in two 3 mile walks.  I didn't manage to get my butt downstairs for even one DVD workout!  grrrrr   But being on vacation this week feels so good that I am just going to be happy with a loss and look ahead to the coming week.

My sister came for a visit yesterday.  She has not been to see me since my surgery and frankly I was expecting some kind of positive reaction from her.  She knows about the surgery and so I didn't have to avoid the subject.  I have lost almost 60 pounds and even with being my own worst critic, I know it shows.  She didn't say a word.  After we visited for a couple of hours, I offered to treat her to a lunch out.  She is retired and on a very tight income/budget and I thought it might be nice for her to get to go out to lunch.  After we discussed what types of food she likes best, we decided to go to a small Mexican restaurant near my house that has really yummy food.  She ordered the enchilada platter and I ordered arroz con pollo.  As is my new normal, I at about 1/4 of the chicken on the plate and a couple of bites of black beans.  I then asked our waitress (who was a sweetie) if I could have a box for the rest.  Once the waitress left, my sister said..."well if that is all you are eating, no wonder you are losing weight, that's not enough food to keep you alive"!  WTH?  We talked about it for a minute or two with me explaining my new way of eating and how it's all about the protein first and that I can assure her that I am eating plenty to keep me alive.  Then the talk turned to what I am going to do once I lose all the weight I want to, at which time she informed me that I was going to have so much loose skin that I was going to regret losing all the weight!  Again WTH?  I just decided to change the subject when we got home.  We sat down to continue our visit and I grabbed another water bottle.  She proceeded to tell me how much she hates water and that all she drinks is tea.  At this point, I wanted to talk about anything except food and drink!  I love my sister dearly, but it is clear that she is not a part of my support system!

When she left I went to visit my daughter for a bit and that put me in a much better mood as we share a wicked sense of humor that never fails to put a smile on my face!

Fast forward to today...my perfect day...after a yummy oatmeal breakfast, I went to our local farmers market and stocked up on lots of fruits and veggies for my week off.  They even had okra (sorry...it's a southern girl thing) and so I had some for lunch!  It's a rare treat because it doesn't grow well up here!  I bought myself a beautiful bouquet of fresh dahlias and even some raspberries and blackberries!  They had a large steel drum band playing in the market square and so I stopped to listen for a bit and it was so uplifting!  To end this perfect day of mine, I am headed in a hour or so to Ladywells Vitality Spa where I plan to soak, and steam, and sauna, and relax to get me further cemented into vacation mode!  I have to relax today, because while I won't be at work next week, I have a ton of home projects lined up for me to complete.  The hope is that I will get all this done now and so I can relax going into fall knowing that my house and yard are in good repair!

This weeks goals are to eat all the fruits and veggies I got at the farmers market, do some form of exercise each day, and to get all my chores done!  Wish me luck!

Until next week...


No comments:

Post a Comment