After what seems like the sunniest summer on record here in Seattle, we are now back to "normal". Fell asleep last night listening to the rain running into the downspout outside my window and woke up to a grey day. Somehow the return to what I think of as "Seattle weather" is comforting. Like a worn pair of jeans that just make me say ahhh when I put them on. I love fall weather and while I enjoyed every ray of sunshine we had this summer, I am ready to put on a cardigan and carry an umbrella.
Yesterday I went up to the outlet mall north of Marysville. They were advertising a huge Labor Day weekend sale and I still need a few more clothes in the size I am now to get me through until Christmas. I also thought it would be a good chance to get some walking in - even if I didn't find anything I wanted to buy. Well, it did end up being more walking than buying...but I enjoyed getting out of the house and I did find a couple of tops that were really great prices and so the whole experience was satisfying. I think that I have enough clothes now to get me through the fall and so I have made a promise to myself that I am going to stop shopping until closer to Christmas. When I was a size 2X shopping was never fun and so I avoided it unless absolutely necessary. Now, I love to shop and so I have to curb my enthusiasm a bit so as not to blow the budget!
Something fun today was that I finally set up the garment steamer that I bought 3 months ago. I am terrible about buying something and then when I get it home, it goes in the closet until I get time to deal with it. Then I forget about it or just keep saying "next weekend" over and over and over! I hate to iron and so a few years ago I bought a small hand held garment steamer thinking that it would be a great way to freshen up clothes that get a bit wrinkled in the closet or didn't get immediately removed from the dryer. I was cheap and so didn't buy the really nice one with the hanging rack and more powerful steam wand. I immediately regretted the purchase since the damn thing didn't work worth a darn! Then about 3 months ago I got my weekly "Groupon Goods" email and saw the nicer steamer in the ad. I bought it and when it came mid-week and I didn't have time to open it, read all the instructions, and set it up, I just put the box in the closet and promptly forgot about it. Well today I got it out, set it up, and tried in on a t-shirt that I bought yesterday that (after being in a bag all night) needed the wrinkles removed. WOW! This steamer unit is exactly what I was hoping for! It was so fun to watch the wrinkles just disappear as I passed the wand over the shirt. This is going to make me so happy as I get ready for work in the mornings. And the best part is that it only takes 45 seconds to warm up so you don't have to plan in advance to use it!! I wish all my purchases worked out this well !!
On the weight loss front, nothing has changed. I think that I am at a weight that my metabolism can support without any trouble...but the problem is, this is not the weight that I want to be! So now I am going to wage war on this last 30 pounds! There isn't anything wrong with my food intake...so I know that it's my lack of exercise that is holding me back. My first goal is to get into the 150's before my company management retreat at the end of October. All I need to do is lose a pound a week between now and then to achieve this goal and so the real work begins. I am going to force myself to go back to the gym this week. Getting back to my 3-day-a-week, 90 minute workouts is going to be rough at first...especially since my workout buddy is MIA for a few weeks longer due to other commitments...but this is where the rubber meets the road (or the fat meets the elliptical) and if I want to get to my goal weight I know I have to put in the work.
I am still so glad that I had the surgery. I know that without it, I would still be over 200 pounds and unhappy with everything in life. The surgery gave me the courage to believe in myself again. Having the surgery (for me anyway) is like having a friend with you at every meal reminding you to eat slowly, enjoy every bite, and who takes your plate away from you when you've had enough. Day by day it gets easier, until you no longer need your friend to remind you EVERY time. You can do it on your own...but then that one day when you start to slip up, your friend is right there getting you back on track. Amazing.
Happy Sunday!
No comments:
Post a Comment