Sunday, September 13, 2015

My second 5K is in the record books!

This last week has been a roller coaster!  Work (which is normally really manageable and pleasant) completely kicked my ass!  Between a long weekend (which made Tuesday like a Monday on crack), endless meetings, reviews to compile on my employees, and a coworker who blindsided me during a meeting with criticism I didn't see coming...I was super glad that I had chosen to take Friday off!!  We have a "use it or lose it" time off policy and I had 1-1/2 days left to take before my anniversary on the 23rd, so I took Friday off.  So glad I did...

On Friday I went to the Washington State Fair in Puyallup.  I used to go the the fair every year and eat my way from one end to the other!  From corn dogs to BBQ to pizza to burgers to scones to ice cream and every thing in between.  This year I said that I was going to allow myself one fair treat.  After a lot of soul searching (can't believe food requires "soul searching" now), I decided that the treat I most wanted was a corn dog.  At the very wise suggestion of my daughter, I took a couple of baggies and a small tupperware in my back pack.  I wasn't sure if I might change my mind and go for the BBQ and this way I could pack most of it home with me.  It turned out that it was a good idea for the corn dog as well.  When I got to the fair, I immediately bought a bottle of water.  Then I set off to find my corn dog and look around.  The corn dog was wonderful (just as I remembered) but I could only eat about 3 bites of it before my stomach protested.  So I put the remainder in a baggy and put it in my backpack.  I walked and gawked...went through the shopping pavilion to see what new fun things they had, and then walked a country mile out to the horse arena to watch the draft horse exhibition.  So much fun to watch.  I walked and walked, bought some rubber lids for my bowls, resisted the urge to buy a mandolin slicer, and said no thank you about a hundred times to all the different vendors who want you to try what they are selling!  Spent about 5 hours at the fair and enjoyed every minute of it.  Ate most of the rest of my corn dog before heading back to the car and counted the calories well spent!

Today I got up early to meet my daughter for the Women of Wonder 5K run to benefit cancer.  This was my second 5K and to be honest I did not train for it like I did for the first one.  The weather was drizzling rain when we started and all I told myself was to just do my best and finish the race.  I wasn't sure whether (like I did last time) I could run the entire race without stopping...but it really didn't matter as long as I pushed myself to work hard.  Well...once again my body completely amazed me!  The last 5K I had a time of 48 minutes, and this time...(drum roll) 43 minutes!!!  WTF????  I really don't know how I did that...other than the fact that I once again "just kept going" (and going and going).  If I can finish in 43 minutes without training, imagine what I could do if I kept to my training regime.  Well...I am about to find out because our next race is in 4 weeks.  I'll keep you posted!

My weight is at 164 now, which means I finally crested the 60 pound lost hill that I have been climbing for quite a while now.  I think the fact that I weigh 9 pounds less than I did in my first 5K may just have been what helped me to do so much better!  In about 5 weeks we have our annual managers retreat in Palm Springs.  My goal is to be in the 150's by the time I get on that plane!  This coming week marks my return to the gym and I really think that my weight has been stalled due mostly to my lack of exercise.  Well I am about to put that theory to the test!  I am determined to lose another 30 pounds and get to my goal weight.  I will keep you posted along the journey...for now, I am going to bask in my 5K success...and have some oatmeal !

Keep believing...

No comments:

Post a Comment