Tuesday, June 9, 2015

What happens in Vegas...

This last weekend 8 people from my office traveled to Las Vegas for some sun, relaxation, and team building.  We have done this almost every year for the last 10 years!  Post sleeve Vegas is a whole different animal though...

Vegas is a place of extremes.  Extreme gambling, extreme drinking, and extreme eating!  (not to mention extreme wardrobe choices ~ but that is another story!)

We had a hotel deal that included a 24 hour buffet pass.  Once we checked in for our first dinner buffet, the bracelet they give you entitles you to 24 hours of "all you can eat" at 11 different buffets.  Are you kidding me??  Only one coworker of mine knows about my surgery and we were rooming together for this trip.  She is also on a weight loss journey (minus the surgery) and we have lost a similar amount of weight.  She has been at it for nine months, me for four months.  We both agreed that we did not want to take a giant step back in our progress this weekend.  We had a mini meeting to discuss how we would cope with all the food, alcohol, etc during this weekend and still have fun with our coworkers.  Well...I am proud to say that we did it.

Even with a three day trip to Vegas, I lost 1.4 pounds this last week!  I think I could have lost another pound, but the few drinks I had were tough to overcome.  We walked 8 miles each day we were there.  I have a Fitbit and we used that to gauge our progress and keep us motivated.  I am still not eating red meat, so my trip to the buffet lines were for turkey, and seafood.  I had shrimp and crab one night which were both so delicious!  One of my coworkers was hounding me to "try it with the drawn butter"...but I told her that the flavor of the crab was why I chose it and I didn't need it to swim in anything!  I didn't feel like I missed out on anything!!

A food comment from this trip would be that I am now not afraid to taste something...and decide I don't like it...and then NOT eat it.  I always start with protein and on one of our dinners, I decided to try duck for the first time.  I took a very small piece from the buffet and then went back to our table and tried a bite.  Nope!  Duck (at least prepared that way) was not for me!  So I left it on my plate and went back and got a small slice of turkey.  I also gave myself permission to have one small dessert each night.  Well...the first night I chose a mini eclair.  I took one bite and it was terrible!  So I didn't eat it.  My coworkers were like "go up and get something else"...but I wasn't hungry and nothing sounded good, so I just bagged it.  The next night, I got the small square of cheesecake...again, after one bite, I didn't like it either!  I don't know if this buffet just had particularly nasty desserts, or if my palate has changed so much that I just don't like the flavor of the sugary delights anymore.  Either way, I left them on my plate and didn't even feel a twinge of regret!

Another milestone I passed this week is the halfway point of my weight loss.  I now have officially lost more weight than I have left to lose!  Starting weight - 224.4     Current weight - 177.0
I promised that I would post before and "during" photos once I was at the halfway mark and so here they are.  I started at size 2X in tops and size 20 in pants.  I am currently in a size L top and a loose 16 in pants.  Halfway there and going for goal at 130 !!!  Until next time...here are the pics.




No comments:

Post a Comment