Saturday, February 18th - time to pack up and head back to the real world! Lupita came in this morning to check my drain one last time and pronounced it ready to be pulled! There was a nursing student shadowing her this morning so she got to be in on the excitement. When they pulled my drain in the doctors office, I could hardly feel it. Just that quick "slithery" feeling (ewww)...but the remaining one really didn't want to come out! It still didn't hurt, but when she pulled on it, it felt like someone was playing tug-of-war with my spleen! You could see it under the skin but it wouldn't let go! Lupita told me to take another deep breath and she pulled again and it felt like there was a little "pop" and then I could feel it moving. After that, it was a piece of cake! Lupita thought it might still leak a little - especially since I was going on a plane, so she packed it nice and tight with bandages.
I decided that since I didn't have any drains I would wear leggings and a long shirt on the plane ride home. I put on my tightest compression garment (who needs to breathe anyway), my compression stockings, and I was ready to go. Lupita carried my backpack downstairs. She is still amazed that I packed everything I needed in a backpack! I really didn't need much. I think if I was to do it over again, the only other thing I would have bought to bring would have been a light weight robe. They had one to lend me though and when Dawn left, she gave me hers so I used that one until I came home and then left it there for the next person who doesn't bring one! Everything else that I brought I used so I think I did pretty darn good!
Forgot to mention that when I woke up this morning there wasn't a cloud in the sky! That storm blew all the way through! We sailed on in to Tijuana, but then came to a road that was completely flooded. I will add some photos eventually to give you an idea. I was a little freaked out because the water was up to the wheel wells on the cars! Lety said not to worry, she drives through this a lot because in TJ they don't have good drainage! She had come to get me 5 hours before my flight, and normally I would think that was a ridiculous amount of time...but our new president has made the Mexican border a torture like no other. It took us two full hours to get across the border and there weren't really that many cars! To put it into perspective, 2 years ago when I was coming home from my VSG surgery, I think it took us about 5 minutes to cross into the US. The border agent questioned the hell out of me about why I was in Mexico. I had been warned to only answer the exact question I was asked...so it went something like this...
Border Agent (BA) - Are you Phyllis Ellis?
Me - Yes
BA - Why were you in Mexico?
Me - I had surgery
BA - What kind of surgery?
Me - Plastic Surgery
BA - What did you have done?
Me - None of your business - KIDDING!! I said a breast lift and a tummy tuck
BA - Why didn't you have that surgery in the states?
Me - Well, I don't know if you have looked at the costs, but it is at least double at home
BA - Do you have any drugs that you are bringing back?
Me - Yes - I have antibiotics and painkillers
BA - What kind of painkillers?
Me - Ketorolac
BA - Stares me down like she thinks I am going to confess to something wicked...
Me - Smiles, smiles, smiles
BA - OK - drive forward
I told Lety - man, that was uncomfortable and I LIVE in the US. I can't imagine how it is for other people! She said that she crosses almost daily and it is never the same experience twice! Totally depends on the agent and what kind of day they are having! I know for certain that I couldn't do their job, so I am trying to cut them some slack.
After that, it was an easy drive to the airport where I had arranged for the wheelchair service. I wasn't sure that I needed it, but I had been told to get it anyway and man oh man am I glad I did! First, I had the sweetest young man pushing the wheelchair! Second, security was a breeze (to be fair I have TSA precheck, so that might have helped. And third, after we made it past security, he asked me if I needed to use the restroom...I said yes and he wheeled me right to the door. Then he asked if I wanted anything to eat or drink and I said yes and he wheeled me to the coffee shop and waited while I got an iced coffee. He then wheeled me right to the gate. I had about 45 minutes to wait until my flight boarded so he parked me there and said he would be back. He came back right on time and wheeled me all the way down to the door of the plane! Then the flight attendant carried my bag and stowed it for me and I sat down. Now, I had splurged and bought a first class ticket for the way home and that was nice as well. They served a light lunch and I watched a movie and before I knew it, I was home! As I got off the plane, a wheelchair was waiting for me and he wheeled me all the way to my son-in-laws car! It was so nice to get home and not be exhausted from carrying my bag and walking! Could I have done without the wheelchair...yes...but it really did make a difference in how I felt when I arrived home!
My two daughters and my son-in-law all came to the airport to get me and bring me home. They had my bed all ready for me with tons of pillows, a water bottle, and they had even put together my new shower chair! I was happy to be in my own bed and it did feel good to be home. I have two full days at home to rest up and get ready for work on Tuesday. I am hopeful that I will make it a full day on my first day back! Only a handful of people know that I had surgery and I would prefer to keep it that way for a while. Eventually, when I am all healed and back to my normal self, I won't care if people know...but for now I just want to keep it to myself and get healed and whole again.
Here is a picture of the flooded road we had to travel to get to the border. As you can see, the water goes on for a long distance. This weekend I will hit the one month mark since surgery. I will post some before and after pics then as well as some photos from my stay at Casa del Angel. Thanks for reading and for all the warm wishes too!

No comments:
Post a Comment