Thursday, February 23, 2017

Just another day in the journey

After all the drama, I am happy to report that things are just going along great.  Right now I am the only patient at the recovery house.  This is a good thing and a bad thing.  A good thing because it is really quiet and I can watch movies or play music without worrying that I will bother someone.  The nurses only have me to deal with and they are so sweet and thoughtful.  It's a bad thing because I wish I still had someone to talk to.  It was so nice having Dawn there because we could both relate to the same things.  But I am doing fine on my own.

I finally got outside and went for a slow 15 minute walk up the street and back.  I think my poor nurse was nervous because she was standing outside looking for me when I came back.  It was so nice to walk and feel the sun on my face.  I admit that I walk like I am 90 and it took me 15 minutes to go the equivalent of 2 blocks...but hey...progress.  I was exhausted by the time I got back and got upstairs to my bed.  I took a 2 hour nap!  My nurse kept fretting about my walk so I messaged Dr. R and asked him if he was OK with me walking a bit more.  He messaged me back that 15 minutes was too long and I should only be walking 5-10 minutes and only at a very slow pace.  I told him that slow is currently my only speed.  I promised to scale it back a little though.  I go back to work in a week and while I don't want to over do it and risk any complications, I need to build my strength back up.  I am starting to get a little worried about my transition back to work if a 15 minute walk makes me need to sleep for 2 hours!

I got a good look at my body today and despite the swelling, I am happy with how things are progressing...all except one thing...my belly button.  It is huge and looks like it wants to be an "outie" which I am not OK with.  I know things are still really really swollen and I can't go by what I look like now...but I am definitely going to talk to Dr. R about it at my next appointment.  Other than that, things looks good and I can't wait to get on the other side of the healing curve!  Tomorrow I go back to the Oxygen Chamber for my last visit!



Up early this morning to take a shower and wouldn't you know it, my shower is on the fritz.  The water will only stay on for about a minute then it dwindles down to a trickle.  We have to turn it off and then back on...wait a minute...and then we get another minute of spray.  This made for a very haphazard shower!  I was able to shave my armpits though (it's the little things)!  Tomorrow I am going to try and shave the legs!  I had a quiet morning and a lovely lunch.  Today's appointment at the chamber wasn't until 2pm. (most of my appointments were between 9am and 10am)  Rosie came to get me and after the chamber, she took me to OXXO (which is kind of the Mexican equivalent to
7-11) and I bought a little bag of trail mix and a cookie.  Rosie is so much fun...we have a bit of a language barrier, but we make it work and have a lot of laughs along the way.  Her husbands name is Miguel and he called to tell her he was hungry.  She said, "well I am working, what do you want me to do?".  We laughed and laughed after she hung up and decided that men are the same in any language!  LOL

This afternoon a new patient checked in at the Casa.  Her name is Amber and she and her husband came together.  Her surgery is tomorrow.  I only got a chance to say hello and wish her the best in her surgery tomorrow. We were supposed to have another person coming but their surgery has been postponed for another date, so it will just be the two (three) of us until I leave to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment